Tondar's Daily Rant

Prepare yourself for the writings of Tondar the Destroyer, Baron of Atlanta, Rightful Heir to the Throne of Spain, from whom all babies come. As his will be blogged, so let it be done.

Tuesday, December 18, 2007

IS WE READING?

Tres recently sent out the list of the greatest 100 books since 1923. I didn't really have much of an opinion on it all so I turned to Miss Jackie of the Library for her thoughts...

The list seems rather heavy on books that have been made into movies. Now, whether that's just a reflection of movies finding inspiration from great books, or simply MY awareness, I cannot say.

And while I am definitely the person to go to in regards to advocating children's literature, what in hell is "Are You There God, It's Me, Margaret" doing on that list? I mean, if you are going to choose a Blume title, it's gotta be "Forever." However, neither of them really reflect the pinnacle of young adult literature. All it says is that the people coming up with the list probably came of age in the 70's. I can't think of any list criteria that would put AYTGIMM on the same list as Lolita or Watchmen (which is interesting-good to see on the list, I might add).

Ok, looking closer, I would actually say that it isn't bad. Most of the titles are ones people who read may actually have read. It's very diverse. I'm a little shocked that only two men came up with the list (and that makes me wonder even more about the Blume title. Perhaps I should reread it.).

What I'd like to see is a list for adults that contain titles for people who DON'T really read that much. Stuff a little better than Nora Roberts, but not as dense as Updike and Roth. Did you see the study that came out earlier this year saying 1 in 4 adults read no books at all in 2006? We need a list to reach THOSE people. Of course, with literacy rates what they are (and depending on who's talking)...I don't know that we can expect better.


I'd tend to agree. In the information age of television and the internet lolcats, the time and attention needed to devote to a book is becoming more and more of an eccentric luxury. Reading is a lot of work when you can simply turn on CSI and let television entertain you through the vision of others. You may not realize it, but imagination takes alotta work.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home